Plus Dane supports Gas Safety Week

16.09.2016

In support of Gas Safety Week (September 19 - 25), Gas Safe registered engineers from Plus Dane Housing are raising awareness of gas safety issues and urge local residents to support the most vulnerable in society in order to keep them safe.

Gas Safety Week aims to encourage people from to reach out to friends and family, be they elderly parents or a disabled neighbour, to ensure they get their gas appliances - along with their own - safety checked at least once a year. Poorly maintained gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. In the last year, at least 55,200 homes in the UK escaped deadly gas incidents such as these, thanks to engineers switching off dangerous appliances.

Peter Jones, maintenance and repairs manager at Plus Dane, said: “We take our responsibilities to carry out annual gas servicing very seriously and are delighted that by working closely with our tenants we have secured 100% gas servicing for the past five years, a record we are proud of and one we aim to maintain.

“We’re pledging our support for Gas Safety Week and doing our bit to raise awareness of gas safety issues to let our customers know what steps they can take to keep themselves safe.”

By law, only Gas Safe registered engineers can work on gas appliances. There have been 22 deaths and nearly 1,000 gas-related injuries in the last three years. An estimated quarter of a million illegal gas jobs are carried out every year by unregistered workers, who do not have the skills or the qualifications to do the job safely. It’s therefore vital that engineers are registered with the official gas authority, Gas Safe Register.

Jonathan Samuel, managing director for Gas Safe Register, said: “We know from our own investigations that around one in six gas appliances in the UK are unsafe, meaning far too many people are victims of preventable gas related incidents. It’s great to have the support of Plus Dane this Gas Safety Week. By working together we can raise further awareness of gas safety, to help reduce the number of dangerous gas appliances that could be lurking in people’s homes."